Thursday, February 02, 2006

Myokymia?!

When I looked at the mirror on Saturday morning... My right lower eyelid was twitching. I didn't find anything odd about it, considered it a usual phenomenon and left it at that. But on Monday, when at work, when my friend said, your eye is twitching, I realized, that it has been like this for 2 days! The twitching, by itself did not bother or hinder, but the thought that of it did!

Past Monday and Tuesday, it still went on and on! It became quite a habit to wake up early in the morning and check in the mirror to see if it was twitching. When am jobless, I look at the mirror and start timing the contractions and sometimes create music beats out of it! it became so part of my eye...

On Wednesday, decided to google about it and came up with hi-fi medical terms. I was surprised this problem had a name and it indeed is a documented ailment! And some were scary too. After Wednesday, I had names like Myokymia, Blaspherospasm, hepifacial spasm, fibromyalgia :-) and to think it is one of this was err..thrilling!

By Thursday, I had scared people enough with information and specifics, that dad ended up booking an appointment with a neuro-surgeon. It took some efforts to talk him out of this. They are slightly on the panic mode. The family doctor, zeroed in on Myokymia(yeah!! I knew it already), to start with, and asked a few questions.

1. Do you intake too much caffeine? Nope.. I don't drink coffee
2. Alcohol? Err... No.. and even if I did, will I tell you?
3. Were you stressed out? May be, if browsing, solving crosswords is stress..
4. Do you sleep well? at work, yes.

After this, he gave me some simple medication.

Now, to elaborate on what google taught me, Myokymia is just a muscle contraction, which will be alright in a couple of days.

But, if it is any other hi-fi ailment, it is a neuro problem, and one suggested that this was the initial symptom of a mental disorder!! Guess this is one of the down sides of too much medical information on the net!

It is 9.00 PM, Thursday and my eyelid goes on and on and on!

8 comments:

krishis said...

left eyelid or right eyelid - athu romba important ... yenna each has it's own significance - appadinu thamizh cinema la solluvaangam :-))

srivat said...

I remember the last time it happened to me - Naan romba nerama ennoda computer screena paathukittu irunthen. Black Screen :-).

Vidya said...

'4. Do you sleep well? at work, yes. - ha ha .. still laughing :) .. '

But ya too much medical info on the net turns even a normal perosn into a hypochondriac..

But hope My.. er.. whatever its called gets alright soon..

Dont strain your self too much @ work ;)

About the left/ right eye I have heard that superstition too. Interesting interpretations.. u can actually blog on it :)

Shastry said...

I will just say wat is known to me.... pasangalukku right eye thudicha nalladhu nadakkumam and vice versa... ponnungalukku left eye thudicha nallathu nadakkumam.

hey appuram cinemala thaan ippadi puriyatha medical terms ellam solli bayamuruthuvaanga.....

enakku neraya left eye thudikkum.. bayandhunney iruppen... wat bad happnes to me.. nu. but nothing significant happned.

Yadhvi said...

krishis,
dialogue adikariya? irukattum!!
left or right, naan oorle irukura pasangalai ellam paathu kannadikara madhiri irukku :-)

Yadhvi said...

srivat,
adhuku reason dhan enaku theriume!! aana nee fraud..it's twitching nu solli nejama kannadichu iruppe...

Yadhvi said...

vidya,
sure..taking enough rest...ippo sleeping both at work and home..

Yadhvi said...

shastry,
adhu eppadi correct a opposite a solreenga :-( enakkum, correct a thappa right eye thudikudhu!!

andha medical terms paath naane aadi poiten..